Friday, February 13, 2009

Brand New World



Q: Introduce us to yourself and your company.
My name is Ines Peschiera and I'm a Producer at Brand New World. I was born and raised in Peru and love living in Brooklyn.
Brand New World is a New York City based creative agency that integrates advertising, branding, design and technology to form stronger and authentic connections between brands and their consumers. www.brandnewworldus.com

Q: Interactive Producers come from all walks of life, they are a hybrid of talents, tell us about your background and how you got interested in digital production?
My resume reads like a random assortment of job posts on Craigslist. Immediately before becoming a producer, I had been an account manager within my agency. Before that, I had worked as an associate editor at a magazine. And before that I had majored in psychology with a heavy emphasis on physical and biological sciences. (In college, I spent my summers working in all kinds of biomedical labs, in preparation for med school.)
And though it all seems rather disconnected, at heart I've always just pursued directions that satiated my curiosity. Production seemed like the natural course to explore when I realized that I really wanted to figure out how to go about making great stuff in new media.

Q: How do you stay on top of emerging technologies and keep your team informed and motivated?
When I have the time, I love browsing through my favorite blogs and sites like digg and delicious. More often, I learn about the coolest stuff through a handful of friends who are seemingly omniscient in the way of interactive media.

Q: What does your ideal client/project look like?

My favorite clients are those who are open to new ideas, and are eager to incorporate new technologies in creative ways. My favorite projects are the kind that find their way under your skin and get you so jazzed in the morning you wish you lived closer to work.

Q: How do you educate your clients and set realistic expectations for a project?

In theory, it's really simple: solid, unflinching dedication to constant, straightforward communication. In practice, this entails a holding yourself to a plan for key formal reports, a penchant for frankness and an unnatural attachment to a smartphone.

Q: What was the best project you have ever worked on?

I have yet to encounter a project I didn't enjoy, but if I had to pick one engagement I'd say it was the Topamax interactive campaign. Along with the complete redesign of www.Topamax.com, we completed the production of a web video series featuring real women and the restructuring of the brand's entire interactive campaign. What I enjoyed most was being there to plan the whole campaign, seeing each phase of production through and tracking the impressive results as they flooded in. It's a rare treat to be able to coordinate and perpetually optimize an entire multi-platform, far reaching campaign.

Q: How many projects are you comfortable producing at one given time?
That's a tough one. I'm currently producing about 12, but it really all depends on the relative size of each project, the phase they're in and the timing involved.

Q: What does your dream production team look like?

My dream production team is composed of individuals who have diverse, unique skill sets, and the capability to come together to tackle problems creatively. The team encourages and respects ideas coming from anyone. Most importantly, my dream production team meets in a carpeted room full of bean bags, shameless ambition and four walls lined with a series of video screens, calendars and white boards.

Q: How do you ensure that your client's best interests are met?

The most important thing to meeting your client's best interests is making sure you, everyone on your team and your client understand them the same way. This all goes back to straightforward communication and keen understanding of the client's objectives.

Q: What is your vision of what the next phase of our industry is going to look like?
I'm betting on the underdogs these days. As marketing budgets shrink, the focus will be on highly efficient campaigns and it's clear some of the smaller, more agile agencies will have a chance to really shine.

Q: Please share a snippet of wisdom that you would like to impart on our readers.
Self-knowledge is key to this job. And understanding how you learn is essential to this. Once you figure that out, act on it. Some people need to write everything down, some people need to hear themselves talk. The key is to follow through and keep track of all the details you know you should remember for the next project.

1 comment:

  1. ines is sly, which makes her an excellent producer.

    she comes off as laid back and slightly aloof, so you think things are just moving along by themselves.

    but actually she's in charge the whole time -- she just doesn't want you to know it.

    perfect for managing volatile creative types like me!

    ReplyDelete